Saturday, January 5, 2013

And then there were Six..

I walked into the greenhouse to be greeted by a few of the quail. It was less enthusiastic than usual. They didn't crawl all over my boots, and hop up and down begging for food. Brave little Calico didn't approach me with his big amber eyes. Spice didn't spook and fly into the wall.

Then i saw them.

Calico, Cricket, Charlie and Spice died in the night. I don't know how or why, but there was no blood. I hope they felt no pain.
************
Curled in a corner
Four, i count 
Perfect little birds
White against the dark earth.
Feathers like moonshine
Their eyes are half open
They cannot see
Their bodies are stiff with death
Those bodies that held a life when the sun set
I lay them to rest amongst the snow
I will not see them again
****************  
The others happily peck along, cooing softly. I am left with six, and a mystery. 

Good bye little ones <3 You will be missed.






Clover~

9 comments:

  1. Oh hon ((HUGS)) I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you started your morning out this way. It is heartbreaking to lose an animal that means so much to you. We have lost chicks a few times and it never gets any easier to accept. Loss is an unfortunate part of the animal keeping experience. I hope that you will be greeted by six happy quail when you visit the greenhouse tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Clover! I am so sorry. It's hard to lose a pet and to lose four at once and have no idea why. You are a very brave girl to share this with the world. You are in my prayers tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you had to go through that :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry, sweetie. My son has lost several of his prize bantam chickens in the past few weeks. It's been heart-rending. We're here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :*(

    That is never easy. God sees each one.....and He cares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone <3 The others seem happy and peaceful, and i think they will be okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just checking back in to see if there was any news about your quail. I'm so happy to see your comment that they are doing well!

    ReplyDelete